Saying that since all heroin addicts usually start with marijuana to try and prove that all marijuana users will begin using heroin is kinda like saying since Hitler used amphetamines, everyone who uses Adderall is going to start a mass genocide.

Tue, 03/15/2011 - 12:42am

Comments

Mon, 03/14/2011 - 12:52pm
Barrack Says:

some time when I take adderall I feel like starting a mass genocide...theory proven

Tue, 03/15/2011 - 1:01am
noyce028 Says:

i smoke pot to help me go to sleep after doing cocaine.. does that make cocaine a gateway drug?

Tue, 03/15/2011 - 1:10am

yeah man, another good one is, its like saying drinking milk leads to being an alcoholic.

Tue, 03/15/2011 - 1:16am
cooody Says:

I had no intension on downvoting man I do this from my fone and sometimes the screen is as high as I am lol didn't seem to affect you tho it went up 9 wen I. Hit the down button

Tue, 03/15/2011 - 3:50am

Tue, 03/15/2011 - 2:06am

aw i did the same thing as the dude above me

Tue, 03/15/2011 - 2:06am
lbo103 Says:

I think the argument is that marijuana users are more likely to be in contact with people capable of supplying more intense drugs.

Tue, 03/15/2011 - 4:01am

"Patterns in progression of drug use from adolescence to adulthood are strikingly regular. Because it is the most widely used illicit drug, marijuana is predictably the first illicit drug most people encounter. Not surprisingly, most users of other illicit drugs have used marijuana first. In fact, most drug users begin with alcohol and nicotine before marijuana — usually before they are of legal age.
In the sense that marijuana use typically precedes rather than follows initiation of other illicit drug use, it is indeed a "gateway" drug. But because underage smoking and alcohol use typically precede marijuana use, marijuana is not the most common, and is rarely the first, "gateway" to illicit drug use. There is no conclusive evidence that the drug effects of marijuana are causally linked to the subsequent abuse of other illicit drugs."

Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base (1999)
Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences

Paraphrased: Marijuana is the first drug encountered by people who use hard illicit drugs.

Tue, 03/15/2011 - 9:24am
desmitty66 Says:

the only reason marijuana is a gateway drug is it's illegality. Because weed is illegal, you have to go to a dealer to get your stash, which usually allows you access to "harder" drugs (coke, meth, etc.). If weed were illegal, like in states with dispensaries (GO COLORADO!), people would have a safe place to go to purchase their weed without being offered, or even having access to, other drugs. Therefor people would have to choose on their own to seek out a source of these other drugs. Legalize marijuana in all 50 states - problem solved =]